Purpose (“why the role exists”)
For Biocartis as an organization, it is important to have the people in place who can make the company’s strategy happen. The HSE & Facilities Manager plays a pivotal role in orchestrating this.
The key mission of the HSE & Facilities Manager is
- to develop a 'functional powerhouse' with highly capable resources, and
- to operate as the process owner of efficient and effective business processes.
The HSE & Facilities Manager also provides expert input to programs and coaching to the employees and teams.
The HSE & Facilities Manager’s primary role is talent, competence and resource management. He/she is an expert in his/her respective discipline.
In this way, the HSE & Facilities Manager will make sure that his/her function performs at the best of its ability by having talented and trained resources and effective and efficient processes in place.
The HSE & Facilities Manager is responsible for a safe, ergonomical, comfortable, productive and sustainable work place for all Biocartis employees worldwide.
The HSE & Facilities Manager will be assisted by a team of (external) HSE experts and a Facilities Assistant.
The HSE & Facilities Manager is a member of the Operations department and reports to the Manufacturing Engineering, Facilities and HSE manager.
Primary (preferred) location is Mechelen.
Occasional travel to the US (< 5 % travel time)
Accountabilities and responsibilities
The role includes, but is not limited to, the following accountabilities:
Health, Safety and Environment
· Develop and operationally deploy the Biocartis Corporate HSE policy in close cooperation with the different internal stakeholders (Operations, R&D and G&A).
· Manage a team of (external) safety and environmental experts.
· Provide guidance in risk management and risk analysis, including safety audits on the shop floor.
· Master the current HSE related legislation and is aware of the latest developments.
· Be an active member of the Safety, Health and Environment Committee.
· Participate in the development of offices & production related emergency response procedures.
· Assist in fire alarm drills, and training of first aid helpers.
· Builds and maintain sustainable working relations with external stakeholders, such as safety auditors, fire department, external HSE experts, Bio-safety experts etc ..
· Creates and encourages a safety driven culture in Biocartis, monitors and ensures an Integrated Care Management System
· Report to the COO in the role as legal safety advisor.
· Oversee the general facility management contractual agreements: housing and rental agreements, office cleaning, kitchen and catering services agreements, general waste management contracts, maintenance Service Level Agreements of building and utilities, and facility security systems (access control, fire detection and burglary alarm)
· Follow-up on service contractors and ensures operational compliance by these contractors; circle back to the Manager on contractor performance.
· Develop and maintain auditable procedures such as access control procedure (incl. badge Management) and pest control.
· Provide, together with the Facilities Assistant, a first-line contact in facilities for internal and external clients, by adopting a customer-oriented attitude, and offering them the most appropriate solution and excellent service;
· Maintain as-built documentation related to building renovations, refurbishments and (electrical) maintenance projects in order to enable compliance and all necessary official reporting.
· Office space management and Strategic Office Space planning.
· Accountability for leadership of the respective functional team incl. amongst other establishing a resource and competence plan in line with the company strategy, product roadmap, company objectives and budget.
· Managing, overseeing and balancing resource allocation; makes sure that the projects are equipped with strong people.
· Leading all operational aspects of the function while continuously striving for performance improvement and effectiveness.
· Liaising with project and functional leads to deliver competence and capacity according to business demand and budget.
· Operate as the process owner of efficient and effective business processes of the respective functional team.
· Accountability for financial monitoring of the respective functional team in collaboration with the Departmental budget holder.
· Cascading company objectives within the respective team.
· Reporting and/or escalating to the appropriate governance body.
Internal: All Biocartis Staff.
External: Partners of Biocartis (e.g. Intervest, IDEWE,…)
Education and experience
Bachelor or Master Degree in Technical area with specialization in Safety Management or equivalent through experience.
10 years relevant professional experience within a production environment.
Experience in an international company is an asset.
Technical background and experience in facility management is recommended.
Technical/Theoretical knowledge, skills and expertise
Degree in Safety Prevention advisor level I or II.
Software and database applications
MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) and Outlook.
Legislation and regulation
· Profound knowledge of Belgian ARAB legislation
· Additional knowledge of Vlarem ( Environmental & Biosafety regulation), AREI and Occupational Safety & Health Administration regulations and REACH guidelines
· Notions of ADR/IATA (dangerous goods transport)
Advanced knowledge, orally and in writing of Dutch and English.
A) Corporate competencies
· Cross-functional teamwork – promotes teamwork, stimulates cross-functional collaboration and resolves conflict.
· Customer centricity – champions excellent service through high quality and customer focused solutions and builds partnerships.
· Accountability – Brings company values into the team and takes accountability for own and team results as well as management decisions.
· Result-driven - Set challenging performance goals for self and team, monitors results and watches over effectiveness & efficiency.
· Quality mind-set - Creates and encourages a quality-driven culture, monitors and ensures Total Quality Management.
· Continuous improvement – Supports & promotes new ideas and innovation, reducing risk and resistance.
B) Job specific behavioural competencies
· Quality driven – Sets high standards for quality for self and colleagues, reviews and ensures the delivery of high quality results.
· Supporting & facilitating change: enables and shapes change, helps others to understand the need for change and adapt to it.
· Resilience – Maintains self-control, direction and effectiveness in high-pressure situations.
· Strategic thinking – Creates a clear, long-term and shared vision and mission for Biocartis/Life Cycle/Functional or Business Area integrating information from internal and external resources.
· Steering – Leads people toward meeting the organization’s vision, mission and strategy through inspiring, confident leadership.
· Coaching & development – Provides ongoing feedback, creates development opportunities and plans to meet employees’ needs and aspirations.