About Ghent University
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 9,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
For the Department of Communication and Marketing we are recruiting a full-time Internal Communications Officer (International Personnel). This is a function in staff category A, with a salary in accordance with the Ghent University salary scales 7.1 to 9.2.
Ghent University has more than 9,000 staff members, and 14% of these are international employees who collectively represent more than 100 nationalities. Their official working language is English. We are looking for an employee who will be able to strengthen the Internal Communications team and will be responsible for high-quality, target-group-oriented internal communication with international staff members.
The incumbent will be assigned to the Department of Communication and Marketing, and more specifically to the Internal Communications team. This team is responsible for university-wide communication with personnel. The team is responsible for keeping Ghent University employees informed, motivated and involved. For instance, as part of this, the team sends out internal newsletters, acquires great stories from Ghent University employees and conveys them to the community in a suitable form, organises staff events, brings out staff magazines and is also the information architect of the intranet.
- You shall be responsible for the quantitative as well as qualitative mapping of the target group of international staff members and their information needs. You will be involving various stakeholders in this process.
- Using the baseline measurement data so generated, you will draw up a communication and content plan that addresses the specific needs of the target group. Concrete achievements of this exercise could take the form of personnel newsletters tailored to the international staff members as a target group, combined with a content-oriented intranet. You will also be responsible to regularly fine-tune the communication and content plan and distil topics from it, which you will then work on, on a project-by-project basis.
- You will be tasked with building up networks within existing communities of which international Ghent University staff members are a part, and actively participating in communicating information, events and initiatives aimed at promoting the involvement and motivating employees, always within the framework of the Ghent University internal communication strategy.
- On a daily basis you will contribute to the creation of online and offline content (content hub, newsletter, intranet, social media, magazines, etc.) for the target group of international employees.
- You will actively look for new options and lines of approach to elevate communication with the Ghent University target group of international staff members to a higher level. You will also place your experience and the expanded network that you have built up, at the service of the other teams within the Department of Communication and Marketing.
- You will contribute constructively to the projects and day-to-day operations as a member of the Department of Communication and Marketing and within the Internal Communications team. You are best placed to judge how this may be formulated in a manner that will be accepted by the target group of international employees.
Knowledge and experience
- You must either be a native speaker, or perfectly bilingual in Dutch and English
- You must have at least some experience and/or have completed successful internship in the communications arena
- You will be required to combine your interest and/or experience in the academic world with professional expertise in (internal) communication.
- You must have an unmatched ability to render a beautiful story in terms of text, image or video
- Experience with project operations will be another requirement
Skills and attitudes
- You are a good communicator with a sound understanding of human nature. You are good at interacting with people and enjoy conducting conversations and interviews.
- You thrive on challenges
- You have the ability to work independently
- You are proactive, flexible and can simultaneously keep track of several projects
- You are good at meeting deadlines
- You are a team player and coordinate with your colleagues whenever necessary
- You are strong on empathy
- You are diplomatic and discreet.
- You have the capacity to think analytically
- You have mastered several registers and have the ability to easily adapt to your target audience.
- You are highly motivated and loyal
- You hold a Master’s degree or equivalent degree and you submit a transcript of your degree. For diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted
- You apply by the application deadline and you submit all the required documents by the application deadline
The admission requirements need to be fulfilled by the application deadline.
What we offer
We offer a statutory appointment in function class A with a salary in accordance with the Ghent University salary scales 7.1 to 9.2, determined by your relevant experience at the level of the position.
Remuneration (100% occupancy rate): min. € 21.278,78 – max. € 40.955,09; indexed gross monthly salary (at 170,69%): min. € 3.026,73 – max. € 5.825,52
All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 35 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits (in Dutch).
Our selection procedure consists of a cv-screening, an assessment (at masters level) and a selection interview with a selection committee. We will keep you informed of your application status.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position. If you have a functional impairment, please let us know (+32 9 264 34 36) so we can make the necessary adjustments.
For more information regarding the selection procedure, please contact the Recruitment Office at the following number: +32 9 264 34 36. For more information regarding the job description, please contact Leen van Remortel at the following number: 09 264 82 55
How to apply
Apply online through the e-recruitment system until 8 November 2019. We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- your cv
- your application letter
- a transcript of the required degree. If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages
- only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted